In February 1886, two men from southern Illinois who had married sisters settled in Gering Valley. These men were R. M. Hanks and E. P. Cromer. It wasn't long before they wanted a bit of 'civilization' and thus started a Sunday School in the Cromer's home. Mr. Cromer was the first superintendent and Mrs. Hanks the secretary. When a school house was built in early 1887, the Sunday School moved there. In 1888, this Sunday School became the nucleus of a Methodist church when Rufus Cooley read the Methodist vows and the Cromers, the Hanks, and Mr. & Mrs. J.H. Vickery responded.
The church membership was 25 in 1890, G. P. Badgley was minister with a salary of $150 and $10 was given for missions. The first actual church building was built in 1892. The building was 24 feet by 40 feet and cost $1200. This building was on the southeast part of the current church property. By 1909 church membership had increased to 122 and the Sunday School attendance had tripled. It was decided to elevate the church building and excavate a full basement beneath. The structure was jacked up about four feet, but a strong wind came along and pretty much destroyed it. So a basement was dug and a whole new building erected.
In 1925 there was once again a need for more room, so an addition was built onto the south of that 2nd building. More space was needed by the late 1940's and ground was broken for a new sanctuary on April 9, 1952. This was the current sanctuary that was first used on November 25, 1954. The old church was left in place to use as Sunday School rooms until the upstairs was condemned by the Fire Marshall. And so the education wing was built and opened on April 17, 1964.